Southern Company General Tech, AG/BG in Martinez, Georgia
Entry level position responsible for completing a variety of tasks in support of field operations to include deactivation of service, delayed match, corrosion inspections, meter paints, reading meters and assisting with other maintenance activities as needed. Serves as a member of a crew engaged in installing, maintaining, and repairing gas mains and service lines. Performs basic tasks including operating heavy equipment, using hand tools, basic leak investigation, assisting in mechanical joining, landscape maintenance and traffic control. Performs meter reading, ERT installations and ERT programming in conjunction Automated Meter Reading duties.
Representative Duties and Responsibilities:
• Efficiently works a route to complete customer and compliance orders in a timely manner and in accordance with company policies and procedures and operator qualifications procedures.
• Observes all safety requirements and regulatory guidelines to ensure compliance.
• Actively and accurately captures documentation in the Mobile Data Terminal and recognizes abnormal operating conditions such as corrosion, meters under stress, etc.
• Assists in connecting and disconnecting gas service, manually turning meters on and off.
• Assists in conducting investigations of high bill complaints, stop meters and special readings by meter reading validation.
• Assists in performing regular meter inspections, paints and maintenance of above and below ground gas systems.
• Responds to questions from customers and provides answers directly or by referral.
• Provides assistance with all distribution activities involved with the installation, repair and maintenance of the distribution system to include:
Operating basic equipment and tools
Landscaping and general maintenance
Digging, shoring, repairing leaks, testing and wrapping pipes
Pressure recording devices
• Uses a variety of tools (hand, air, shovels, etc) while performing distribution crew activities.
• Ensures truck is stocked with equipment, supplies, tools and other equipment in neat and orderly condition.
• Operates Automated Dispatch system to complete meter reads and turn-offs service at customer’s premise.
• Identifies abnormal operating conditions and takes appropriate actions.
• Performs simple sniff tests to detect gas leaks.
• Performs other job-related duties as required.
Education and Experience:
• High school diploma or GED
• Mechanical aptitude
• Basic knowledge and use of hand tools and equipment
• Ability to pass basic skills and knowledge assessments
• Field operations experience to include distribution crew work
• Experience with heavy equipment operations
• Technical school training and certification
Equivalent academic education and experience
• Good written and oral communication
• Ability to use good judgment when working in potentially hazardous and emergency environments
• MS Office and Computer skills – basic proficiency
• Customer Service
• Mechanical aptitude
• Able to operate basic equipment, machinery and simple tools
• Good interpersonal skills
• Ability to resolve and diffuse difficult/escalated situations
• Knowledge of assigned geographical territory
• Ability to smell odorant used to detect gas leaks
• Valid Driver’s License
• Welding experience or certification
- Commerial drivers licenseor permit
Business Acumen Driving Results
Engagement Functional Expertise
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• Exposure to outside elements (heat, cold, high winds)
• Safety sensitive
• Heavy lifting, bending, stooping, walking
Disclaimer: This information describes the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this job. The description is not designed to be a comprehensive inventory of duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees in the job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to qualified disabled individuals for performance of essential duties and responsibilities.
Equal Opportunity Employer: All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on their race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or other protected classification.
About Atlanta Gas Light
Atlanta Gas Light is one of seven natural gas distribution companies of Southern Company Gas, a wholly owned subsidiary of Southern Company (NYSE: SO). Atlanta Gas Light provides natural gas delivery service to more than 1.5 million customers in Georgia. In operation since 1856, the company is one of the oldest corporations in the state. For more information, visit www.atlantagaslight.com .
About Southern Company Gas
Southern Company Gas is a wholly owned subsidiary of Atlanta-based Southern Company (NYSE:SO), America’s premier energy company. Southern Company Gas serves approximately 4.5 million natural gas utility customers through its regulated distribution companies in seven states and more than 1 million retail customers through its companies that market natural gas and related home services. Other nonutility businesses include asset management for natural gas wholesale customers and ownership and operation of natural gas storage facilities. For more information, visit Southern Company Gas at southerncompanygas.com .
Job ID: 2016-5261
Company: Atlanta Gas Light Company
Job Locations: US - GA - Martinez
Type: Regular Full-Time
Posted Date: 10/11/2016