Southern Company GIS Specialist in Atlanta, Georgia
This position is being posted as part of a job family. Individuals who demonstrate advanced skills in terms of work experience, education and certifications may be eligible for the advanced grade.
The purpose of this position is to create, collect, revise, analyze and validate enterprise asset data within the enterprise geographic information system (GIS) or other asset information storage databases. The incumbent will have primary responsibility of converting asset and land base records into geospatial format in the GIS for infrastructure construction projects for all subsidiaries and produce related maps, reports, and queries.
• Converts as built data into GIS ensuring that quality and turnaround time metrics are consistently met
• Creates maps, drawings and reports for internal and external customers ensuring that quality and turnaround time metrics are consistently met
• Provides subject matter expertise, training and rudimentary system support on Southern Company Gas Geospatial issues
• Assist local Engineering group on pipeline renewal designs and any data cleanup associated with GIS data within project scope.
Business Acumen :
• Participates in system integration and conversion projects with efforts that lead on time, on budget, on schedule and desired quality outcomes for projects
• Operates as a GIS ambassador to customers across the entire enterprise by assisting them in generating solutions to operational issues using asset data and GIS
• Builds and maintains cohesive working relationships with internal and external consumers of asset data and analytics to ensure constant alignment of goals
Driving Results :
• Delivers on SLAs that support plan, design and implementation of asset integration/migration projects per defined objectives
• Delivers on GIS and other asset data and analytics SLAs, metrics and project deliverables
Required: Bachelor’s in Geography, GIS, Computer Science/Information Systems, Engineering or related discipline OR Equivalent Experience
Preferred: GISP Certification
Related Work Experience:
2 years of experience with industry-standard GIS
• GIS Certification (GIS Certification may be used in lieu of 2 years industry standard GIS experience).
• 4 years of experience with industry-standard GIS, 2 years of which must be in utility industry
• GIS Certification with 2 year GIS experience working for a utility.
• Experience with maintenance of Natural Gas Distribution asset data
• Experience with ESRI database design, structure and management – including the manipulation of tabular data in GIS, and joining/linking related data
Specific Skills & Knowledge:
• Industry Standard GIS – intermediate proficiency
• AutoCAD 2010 and above – intermediate proficiency
• Micro Station V.8 and above – intermediate proficiency
• Proficiency with variety of GIS concepts, practices, and procedures
• MS Access Office - basic intermediate proficiency
• MS Excel - intermediate proficiency
• MS Word - intermediate proficiency
• MS PowerPoint - intermediate proficiency
• SQL Knowledge – basic proficiency
• Relational database management systems - basic proficiency
• ESRI ArcGIS 910.x – intermediate proficiency
• Current GIS industry trends (remote sensing, GPS technology, etc.) – intermediate understanding
• Miner & Miner Schneider Electric ArcFM – basic intermediate proficiency
• MapFrame MobileGIS – basic proficiency
• ESRI ArcObjects - – basic proficiency
• Knowledge of publishing with ArcGIS Server, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online and Portal for ArcGIS, including data versions, multi-user and replication
• Experience using ESRI Data Reviewer and Workflow Manager Extensions
• Experience converting data between CAD and GIS
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements:
• Works primarily in an office environment.
• Frequent traveler (5 - 10%)
• Role may be required to support multiple utilities and may be required to maintain local presence at utility.
Southern Company (NYSE: SO) is America's premier energy company, with 44,000 megawatts of generating capacity and 1,500 billion cubic feet of combined natural gas consumption and throughput volume serving 9 million electric and gas utility customers through its subsidiaries. The company provides clean, safe, reliable and affordable energy through electric utilities in four states, natural gas distribution utilities in seven states, a competitive generation company serving wholesale customers across America and a national recognized provider of customized energy solutions, as well as fiber optics and wireless communications. Southern Company brands are known for excellent customer service, high reliability and affordable prices that are below the national average. Through an industry-leading commitment to innovation, Southern Company and its subsidiaries are inventing America's energy future by developing the full portfolio of energy resources, including carbon-free nuclear, 21st century coal, natural gas, renewables and energy efficiency, and creating new products and services for the benefit of customers. Southern Company has been named by the U.S. Department of Defense and G.I. Jobs magazine as a top military employer, recognized among the Top 50 Companies for Diversity by DiversityInc, listed by Black Enterprise magazine as one of the 40 Best Companies for Diversity and designated a Top Employer for Hispanics by Hispanic Network. The company has earned a National Award of Nuclear Science and History from the National Atomic Museum Foundation for its leadership and commitment to nuclear development and is continually ranked among the top utilities in Fortune's annual World's Most Admired Electric and Gas Utility rankings. Visit our website at www.southerncompany.com.
Southern Company is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Job Field: Gas Pipeline Operations & Maintenance
Job Type: Standard
Primary Location: Georgia-Metro Atlanta-Atlanta
Operating Company: Southern Company Gas
Job Type: Standard
Travel (Up to...): Yes, 25 % of the Time
AGLR Corporate Office - 10 Peachtree Place NE (10AtlantaCODE)
10 Peachtree Place NE
Req ID: GAS2000218